Your Future Starts Here...
Advanced Web Development & Programming
The Oulton College Advanced Web Development & Programming Diploma Program prepares you for a rewarding career using the latest technologies. Global communications has created a boom for workers in the Web Development and Computer Programming field. With the industry being so strong, students have lots of career options.
Our Advanced Web Development & Programming Program will give you advanced programming skills along with Web design, programming and database design to enhance your marketability in today’s labour force. We’ll teach you the most in-demand technical skills in creating and building websites, while giving you a strong background in digital graphic design and multimedia.
You will receive individual attention from qualified instructors: the best in the industry. You will get lots of hands-on experience to build your confidence and expertise, with practical exercises working with Microsoft, .NET, JAVA, PHP, MySQL, MS SQL, HTML5 and Mobile Apps.
You can earn your diploma in less than one year and join this booming and exciting field quickly. Our Graduates often get hired by the company where they did their Practicum placement.
Our Advanced Web Development & Programming Diploma Program provides hands-on practical experience and training in:
- Building Web Applications: using PHP and MySQL.
- Database Design: techniques to build a good server database and how to query, implement and maintain a database using SQL (Structured Query Language).
- Developing Enterprise Web Solutions: using the Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET environment and the Microsoft .NET platform to create an ASP.NET Web application that delivers dynamic content to a website.
- Programming using JAVA: building Desktop Applications for different platforms (Windows, Linux, and Macintosh) and building applications for the web.
A Practicum placement is included and gives you 4-weeks of real experience in your area of study. You’ll be able to apply the skills learned in class and put valuable experience on your resume.
If you love computers and keeping up to date with the latest technologies or if you have an eye for Web design, then our Advanced Web Development & Programming Program may be just the program for you.
Duration: September 2015 - July 2016
Practicum: 4 weeks
The time is now to start your career in the IT industry. Employers in every sector are looking for talented developers and programmers.
- Computer Programmer
- Website Developer
- Applications Developer
- Database Creation
You Will Learn
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Advanced Computer Programming
- JAVA Core Programming
- Web Design and Programming
- Database Design and Implementation
- Professional Development
Students will learn to:
- Develop cross-browser (works in all browsers: Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, Opera) websites using XHTML, HTML5 and CSS3
- Upload a Website to their web host
- Configure a web server (Apache, Internet Information Services) for hosting website
- Optimize a website for Search Engine Ranking (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.)
- Create and maintain their own website
- Optimize document layout for usability and accessibility
- Validate HTML5 and CSS3 code
- Work in a team environment with tasks and timelines, deadlines, etc.
- Use Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 Integrated Development Environment to create websites
BUILDING WEB APPLICATIONS USING PHP AND MYSQL
In this module the students will continue to apply the techniques learned in the Web Design module with an emphasis on creating data-driven websites like a Shopping Cart, a Blog, a Content Management System, etc. using the PHP web programming language and the MySQL database server.
The students will learn to:
- Configure Apache and PHP
- Deploy a Web Site to the Web Server
- Work with Strings, Numbers, and Constants
- Work with Conditionals, Operator, Loops, and Arrays
- Process and Validate Form Data
- Debug and Handle Errors
- Create dynamic, data-driven desktop Web Sites and Mobile Web Sites with MySQL
- Handle Email and File Uploads
- Use Sessions and Cookies
- Secure PHP, Apache, and MySQL
- Work with Regular Expression to Validate Inputs
- Implement jQuery and JSON into Web Application
- Work in a team environment with project proposals, tasks, timelines, deadlines, etc...
- Use NetBeans Integrated Development Environment to create dynamic websites
- Use MySQL Administration Tools to manage databases
DATABASE DESIGN AND MICROSOFT SQL SERVER 2012
This module is composed of two parts:
- Database Design: In this module, students will learn the techniques necessary to design and built a good SQL Server database using Entity Modeling and Relational Design techniques. Students will learn how to use the Microsoft Visio 2010 tool to design database models using the Chen and Crow’s foot models.
- Querying and Programming a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 database: In this module the students will learn how to implement a database from a conceptual model. Student will learn how to query, implement and maintain a database using the SQL (Structured Query Language) language. Students will be using the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio tool.
DEVELOPING ENTERPRISE WEB SOLUTIONS WITH ASP.NET 4.5
This course focuses on using the Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET environment and the Microsoft .NET platform to create an ASP.NET Web application that delivers dynamic content to a website.
The students will learn to:
- Build dynamic SQL Server data-driven Websites
- Create customizable Online Shopping Carts, Portals, Blogs, etc.
- Debug and test ASP.NET web applications
- Work with ADO.NET Data Sources and Data Controls
- Create and consume Web Services
- Incorporate AJAX/JQuery technology into ASP.NET applications
- Validate user input using validation controls
- Work with Master Pages, skins and themes
- Authenticate and secure websites
- Incorporate profiles, personalization, and membership services
- Configure and deploy website to online hosting services
- Work in a team environment (with deadlines, deliverables, and timelines) to build an SQL Server data-driven Web Application
- Create project proposals, project timelines, deadlines, and project management skills
- Use the Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Integrated Development Environment
OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING USING JAVA
This module is divided up into 2 parts:
JAVA CORE PROGRAMMING
In this module, students will learn to build Desktop Applications for different platforms (Windows, Linux, and Macintosh).
Students will learn:
- The Core Java Programming packages
- Object oriented software design techniques (Classes, Objects, Interfaces)
- To design a Graphical User Interface
- To create data-driven software
- To use the NetBeans Integrated Development Environment for building desktop applications.
In this module, students will continue applying their knowledge from the Java Core module with an emphasis on building applications for the Android Platform.
Students will learn to:
- Install and configure the Android development environment
- Create Android activities and XML views (the screen the user sees and interacts with)
- Handle touch/tap, long touch and swipe events
- Work with graphic elements to accommodate various Android versions and screens sizes/resolutions
- Work with the SQLite Database
- Add animation to the app elements
- Use audio and video in your app
BUILDING CROSS-PLATFORM MOBILE APPS USING JQUERY MOBILE AND PHONEGAP
The goal of this course is to provide students with the tools and knowledge to build mobile web applications using the jQuery Mobile framework and to use the PhoneGap framework to build Android Apps.
The students will learn to:
- Create pages in jQuery Mobile
- Add Buttons, Toolbars, and Navigation to jQuery Mobile Web Site
- Create jQuery Mobile Forms
- Add Dialogs and Listviews
- Work with jQuery Mobile Themes
- Understand the jQuery Mobile and PhoneGap API's
- Work with jQuery Mobile Events, Methods, and Properties
- Build, Test, Debug, and Deploy Mobile Web Apps (Device, Simulator, and Browser)
- Use PhoneGap and jQuery Mobile to build Android Apps
- Grade 12 Diploma, Adult Diploma or GED
- Meeting with an Admissions Advisor
- Acceptance by the Admissions Committee
- Completion of the Pre-Enrollment Package
Unless they have completed a minimum of three years of study at a school where English is the language of instruction, international students whose first language is not English must submit proof of English language proficiency:
- CAEL – 70
- IELTS – 7.0
- TOEFL – 550 paper based, 270 computer based
- MELAB - 90